Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Graduations and Tulips

On Sunday, my youngest sister graduated from Hope College (the same school all three of us attended- I don't want to think about how much Mom and Dad had to pay for that! What goes around comes around... :)) So we went to Holland, Michigan, to watch her walk across the stage. A good time was had by all.It was breezy, but quite sunny, so I got a chance to get out the darling sun hat we bought on clearance last year... Carolyn thinks it's better for tasting than for wearing. :)
Here's Laura graduating! She's the teeny blue person next to the guy with the light blue thingies hanging down from his robe (that guy's the president of the college :))
And there's Carolyn, a teeny tiny spot on the top of the bleachers, walking through the whole reading of the names... she slept through most of that... thankfully. :)
In Holland, early May is also Tulip Time, so there are plantings of tulips all over town. Yesterday we went back to help Laura move and took a walk in the downtown area, where I tried to get some pictures. You can see that Carolyn was far more interested in attempting to eat the tulips than in posing for pictures. :) Glad none of the tulip police stopped by! It's a $50 fine to pull up a tulip! :) Seriously!
Some nice people offered to take our picture together... but Carolyn would not consent to smile! :) I assure you, she does smile; just not in front of a lot of people waving their arms around and when she's sitting in the middle of the tulip bed. :)
When we visited the Pink Tulips, she found something else she enjoyed playing with... Dirt!
It simply had to be tested... and being distracted by the camera, I didn't get there fast enough to stop her (does that make me a bad mother that I let my child eat dirt?!) I also wondered whether one taste would maybe make it seem a bit less tempting...
I don't think it was as tasty as she thought it would be... or maybe it was the fact that I stuffed my fingers in her mouth in attempt to remove the handful of dirt from within.

2 comments:

Rohrer Family said...

No, you are not a bad mother for letting her eat dirt. Because if you are, where does that leave the rest of us? Trust me, it never ceases to amaze me how quickly Emma can cover herself from head to toe in dirt. Last night we were taking a walk by the river and she greatly enjoyed taking handfuls of gravel and dumping them in her hair... lovely. :)

Ginger said...

She is so beautiful. Love her hair ribbons that match the tulips.