Monday, March 12, 2007

An Ethical Question

Carolyn's picture fans will have to forgive me for this "off the subject" post, because this so deeply touches my heart and makes me fear for the direction our country is heading and also troubles me greatly as to what my role is as a pharmacist and as a Christian. I received the following correspondence from my employer today (as an attachment sent to them from Planned Parenthood). I am interested in what you think, o faithful fans of the blog of the precious baby who a little more than a year ago was someone I would have had the "right" to eliminate simply for my own convenience. What a tragic commentary on our times that the "right" of a woman to choose to kill her child has been elevated higher than the right to freedom of religion for which our forefathers fought and died.

Since the "morning after" pill went over the counter, I have seen more women in the past few months seeking it than I saw in the entire year I worked full-time prior to Carolyn's birth. Many, many more women are using it and now Planned Parenthood has started this really vicious campaign to ensure that pressure will be brought to bear on anyone who doesn't make it ridiculously easy for a woman to obtain "Plan B," which is sadly already becoming more and more "Plan A" for too many people. At this point, I have been able to avoid having to sell it to anyone by just asking another technician to help the customer (thankfully the pharmacist does not have to be involved in OTC sales). However, my heart is convicted that as a Christian I may have a responsibility to do more than just not get my hands dirty. Perhaps as a Christian and as a pharmacist I have a duty to share information with the customer that he or she would not receive from the package labeling- regarding how the medicine works to stop the implantation of a tiny baby in the mother's uterus- so that she can make an "informed" decision. However, I'm afraid that with all the political pressure being brought on employers who all people to work in their stores who attempt to apply any degree of friction to a transaction involving "Plan B" I may stand at risk of losing my job if I do so. Gladly will I take a stand if I have to- but what exactly is my responsibility in this situation? Do I have any legal rights in these circumstances? Read the following if you have time and tell me what you think.

We'll get back to pictures next time. :)

Dear Friend,

Survey Your Local Pharmacy

When Planned Parenthood confirms a report of a woman being denied access to emergency contraception, it will spring into action to make sure pharmacies fill women's prescriptions. Planned Parenthood will demand meetings with the offending pharmacy, apply public pressure through advertisements and national letter-writing campaigns, and bring to bear the power of the entire Planned Parenthood organization on behalf of women's health.

Join the Planned Parenthood Pill Patrol Today!

Every day in America, women are forced to play the lottery when they walk into their neighborhood pharmacies and ask for Plan B emergency contraception (EC). Although EC is now available without a prescription for people 18 and older, the fight to protect EC still rages on in pharmacies across the country and in our nation's capital.

Join the Planned Parenthood Pill Patrol and ensure women in your neighborhood have access to EC.

Just last week, we learned that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration Office of Women's Health, which was at the center of the fight to make EC available over the counter, just had more than one-quarter of its operating budget cut. Now people are asking - is this payback for the prolonged EC controversy?

Over the past three years, Planned Parenthood has worked with large pharmacy chains, urging them to change their policies to stock EC and ensure that women can access their birth control in-store, without discrimination or delay. Some pharmacies, like CVS, have stepped up to the plate, changed their policies, and worked to ensure that those policies are enforced to protect their customers. Other pharmacies have flatly refused to adopt such policies. In the wake of EC going over the counter, Planned Parenthood has had numerous reports of women being denied access in their pharmacies. We are asking for your help. Today, Planned Parenthood is launching the next phase of its campaign to protect women's health - a nationwide grassroots effort to ensure that EC is available in every neighborhood in America.

Sign up to survey a pharmacy in your area now.

During the month of March, Planned Parenthood needs hundreds of volunteers to join its Pill Patrol and attempt to purchase emergency contraception at neighborhood Costco, Target, Wal-Mart, and Supervalue/Osco stores.

Joining the Pill Patrol is easy. When you sign up to survey a store in your neighborhood, you'll receive an activist toolkit that includes easy instructions, a script, and a phone number to call if you have any questions.

Your participation is crucial to the success of this campaign. Make sure women in your community have access to emergency contraception - join the Pill Patrol today.
Thank you,
Cecile Richards

President

Planned Parenthood Federation of America

5 comments:

Ginger said...

Wow I do understand this dilemma. As a OB nurse in a major medical center I was faced with the decision to assist in the abortion process. I refused to do so and was told I had to write a letter to management explaining my objection to assisting in abortions based on mmy religious principles and my bosses told me that I did not have to be involved in the abortion procedure. so when I was assigned to a patient that was in the process of an elective abortion i told my team leader I did not want to be assigned to the patient and I was reassigned. Now that being said that is not always how to works I know. So is it possible to speak with your employer so that as you have been doing that you dont need to be a part of the transaction? I know that as I nurse i could not project my beliefs on a patient I just did not need to be a part of the process. In your situation I am just not sure how you proceed. I think as a pharmacist you are required to explain how to take meds. Could you then go through how it works? So that the patient is completely informed and then if they buy the meds after you have discussed the process with them it is out of your hands. How did Brad handle this in med school and his residency? If you feel convicted that you need to say something then I believe that God will give you the opportunity to do so. Such a hard place to be in.

Ginger

Transplant said...

Very thought-provoking.

Are you familiar with the Christian Pharmacists Fellowship International? I wonder if some of those people would have some helpful information.

Sometimes, I wonder where the ACLU is. It sounds a little like PP would have the government force all pharmacists to dispense any drug, even one that violates their religious beliefs. So where is the ACLU defending the pharmacists' personal rights?

I know it is always a balancing act, my rights against your rights, and that is as it should be. I know at work, I have the right to refuse to be involved in care that is against my religious beliefs, but I cannot refuse if patients' life or limb is endangered by my action. Short of that, the hospital must provide someone else to do the job. Thankfully, I have only once exercised that right, and that was many years ago.

I hope you get some good feedback!

Transplant said...

One more thing, here's from Breakpoint, though it is a year old. It has several links at the end.

Erica said...

I totally understand how you feel. I would feel like I would have to say something as well. Maybe that one comment would make the woman take a moment and think of what she is about to do and that would save one baby's life. I am not sure of your rights but you will be in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

EB!
How very hard it must be to be you right now! I could just cry! I am praying for wisdom for you and pray that an answer will come in what you can do! My soul just grieves for those babies, and the woman who are so lost....