Monday, October 09, 2006

I went back to work part-time last week and there was no easing slowly back into it- I worked Thursday night, then all day (almost 11 hours) Saturday and Sunday. It was hard for me, but I survived and kind feel like I made it through the worst part of the transition. I hated being away from her, but there are things about being back in the pharmacy world that I do like (being yelled at or threatened with calls to Corporate by disgruntled "entitled" people who aren't even paying for their own meds when I'm trying my best to resolve things for them is NOT one of them)- I enjoy most of the patients I interact with and getting a chance to use a part of my brain that has been dormant for awhile. I like the people I work with and the job I do appeals to my sense of order and delight at seeing things line up into little boxes. But it's a pretty poor trade-off for spending time with the most beautiful person in the world, watching her laugh and giggle and coo and spit up and grow and smile and all that fun stuff. I'm glad I only have to spend 2 days a week in the "real world." I missed her terribly, but Brad reminded me of something that helped me a lot- that by working and allowing others to take care of my precious treasure, I'm actually giving them a gift- the most valuable one I could give. When I thought of it that way, it didn't seem so bad or so much like I was abandoning my child. I was able to go to work and do my job to the best of my abilities- but I couldn't wait to get home!
Daddy got a chance to spend lots of time directly caring for Carolyn- it was fun to watch him bond with her even more than before; I think that being forced to get away helped me to recognize some of the unique ways he blesses her life- ways only a daddy can. He had her laughing so hard this weekend blowing on her tummy with his scratchy face! I could see Carolyn really connecting with her dad in a way she hasn't had much of a chance to do before. Most kids aren't really ever directly cared for by their fathers very much- what a great thing for her to have in her life!

It was also the day of the Michigan/Michigan State game- Daddy and Carolyn were all dressed up in their maize and blue. :) Next time, I'll make a little bow for her hair so she doesn't look so boyish! :)
Grammy and Papa Craig came for the weekend- they spend the weekends that I'm working at our house- it's fun having them here and they are so helpful! Next time I work a weekend (November 11-12), Brad will be on call most of the time, so they'll be our primary babysitters. This time Brad was home, so it was kind of a free-for all. The best part for me: hot food waiting for me as soon as I got home on Saturday night! :)

Check out those blue eyes! They say it's too soon to tell whether they will stay- have to wait until she's 6 months or 9 months or a year old or whatever depending on whom you ask- and some people have said they've seen eyes change in adolescense. She'll be beautiful no matter what color they are- but I do think the blue is lovely for now. :) Posted by Picasa

No comments: